Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Hello, Universe, by Erin Entrada Kelly

Hello, Universe was the Newbery Award winner for 2018, but somehow I didn't read it when it came out or when it got the award, something I try to do, as the Newbery books are always good! The Newbery Award is an award given to the best children's book of the year, and often there are one or two honorable mention books as well (that receive a silver Newbery medal - but only one book per year gets the gold!).  It is also Kelly's third book, but the first of hers I have read.

That said, there are some Newbery books that I think are as good as any book I've read...Holes, by Louis Sachar, Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, and Kira Kira by Cynthia Kadohata are some of my favorites!  At the same time, there have been books awarded that I've read and sort of scratched my head about, not sure why they won the gold award. Good books, but not the best of the year, in my opinion. Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins was one. Hello, Universe is another. It's a decent book, a quick read, meant for older elementary or young middle school readers, in general. It tells the story of five middle school-aged kids, all with their own quirks that they are trying to sort out while trying to live each day in an adult world, and a world with various dangers (snakes, bullies, parents, etc.). Their lives intersect in funny and mysterious ways, and as a whole, the story is good and flows along nicely. But it's not amazing, I don't think - worth reading but not worthy of the best-book-of-the-year honor.  Perhaps I'm wrong, and you read it and find the depth I missed. If so, please let me know - I'm happy to be wrong about things like this! 3 paws.

Hello, Universe: Kelly, Erin Entrada, Roxas, Isabel: 9780062414151 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...