Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The End and Other Beginnings, by Veronica Roth

From Divergent author Roth comes this book of six short stories, all science fiction-based stories that bring elements of her writing style into "Stories from the Future".  What I like about Roth's writing is her ability to create good characters with some depth to them as well as very realistic situations between them. She brings real-world troubles and ideas into her futuristic, sometimes dystopian stories.  What I don't like about Roth's writing is she doesn't quite get far enough beneath the surface of her characters to make her writing as strong as, say, Marie Lu.  So while I enjoyed Divergent, I didn't love it. While I liked four out of the six stories in this book, I didn't love them. And I'll add that the two I didn't like I really didn't like...they were pretty boring and pointless, I thought. One of those two I read in two separate sittings, which may have affected my reading of the story, so there's that.

In all, this is okay work by Roth. If you love her writing give this a try. If you are kind of "meh" about her writing, go read Marie Lu or Neal Shusterman instead. They do what Roth is doing only better! 3 paws.

The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future by Veronica Roth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...