Thursday, July 23, 2026

Where Only Storms Grow, by Alyssa Colman

     The 1930s in the middle of the United States was not a good place to live, as detailed in this wonderful historical fiction book by author Alyssa Colman. A huge swath of the Midwest was suffering from severe drought (lack of rain for a long period of time - in this instance, several years), and the farms in this region were really struggling to grow crops. As the soil dried up, it became dirt, sand, and dust. When the wind blew, this dirt blew for miles, sometimes hundreds of miles, creating drifts like snow drifts, only in sand and dirt. Many people lost their farms and/or moved west to try to survive. Others, like Joanna's family, stayed and hoped for better days. Where Only Storms Grow is the story of the Dust Bowl as told through the fictional accounts of Joanna and her twin brother Howe. 

    In 1997 author Karen Hesse won the prestigious Newbery Award for her book, written in verse, called Out of the Dust. That book was equally as well written and powerful, covering the same time period and events of our country's history. Where Only Storms Grow made me think of that book and how much I loved it. I'm no Newbery Committee dog, but I think Colman's book is very deserving of this year's award! I was a little surprised to see it listed as an elementary or middle school book - I thought it was written at a solid middle grade level. But if you like historical fiction, or if this period in our history interests you, I recommend this with an enthusiastic 5 paws! This is a really well-written book that I think you might love, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please keep your comments clean and dog-friendly! Thanks for reading!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Where Only Storms Grow, by Alyssa Colman

      The 1930s in the middle of the United States was not a good place to live, as detailed in this wonderful historical fiction book by au...