Friday, July 12, 2024

Maelstrom; A Prince of Evil, by Lorian Merriman

     The debut graphic novel by the creator of the online sci-fi web comic The Otherknown. I discovered Maelstrom: A Prince of Evil on a recent visit to my public library (where I find my next great read when school is n summer break), wanting a graphic novel after finishing my last book, and also wanting something brand new that I knew nothing about.

    What a treat this was, and I am so happy that I chose this book! Colorful, fun, funny, dramatic, with exceptional artwork and a really cute, albeit not original, storyline. Maelstrom is the son of the evil queen who took over the throne and rules with terrible magic and power. Prince Maelstrom, however, gets bored of being the evil prince, and falls into favor with a group of people forming a resistance to topple the queen and return the land to peace once more. But is Prince Maelstrom who he says he is? Does he really want to help move his mother from the throne? 

    Merriman's Maelstrom is full of great characters, beautiful art, dragons, magic, sword fighting - a real medieval tale in graphic novel format. At times it reminded me of Shrek for it's funny one-liners and likeable characters. Never boring and an easy to follow plot (mostly) make this one for any of you graphic novel fans! I will recommend this to my human so that he can add it to the River City library collection. 4 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Storyteller, by Brandon Hobson

     This is the first book for teens by author Hobson . According to the author info at the back of the book, he has written four books fo...