Thursday, August 12, 2021

Genesis Begins Again, by Alicia D. Williams

 A debut novel by author Williams, and an OBOB book for the coming season as well. Genesis Begins Again is the story of Della, growing up with an alcoholic father and a mother who is trying to help her family stay afloat. The story is told by Della, and I don't know if I can remember reading another book where the narrator's voice was so real and strong as it is in this story. I feel like I know Della, and like I am Della, from almost the first page. She is wonderful and flawed all at the same time, and the situations she finds herself in leads to some decisions that don't always turn out to be good. She is very real, very human, and I could not turn the pages in this book fast enough!

The story reminded me of some of the best storytellers I have read - Sharon Creech, Kate DiCamillo, Jerry Spinelli, Jason Reynolds, Jacqueline Woodson, Kwame Alexander...because Williams is already that good! This may be my favorite book of the year so far, and is certainly one of my favorite books of all time! Read this! 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...