Saturday, October 3, 2020

Skulduggery Pleasant, by Derek Landy

 This is not a new book, having been published in 2007, but Book 1 in a multi-book series (and a movie?). But Skulduggery Pleasant made this year's OBOB list for middle school, and it's always been a book I knew I would read...someday! Well, this weekend was "someday", apparently, and what a treat this was! 

A great mystery with a lot of action, a strong girl protagonist (coupled with Skulduggery, who is, in fact, a skeleton!), smart writing, funny, fast-moving...what's not to like, right? A great choice for OBOB, and I'm only disappointed that I didn't read it sooner!

One thing that keeps this from getting a 5 paw rating is the ending. The entire book moved along at a great pace, the writing was clever and unpredictable, but the ending was a little rushed and messy, I thought. To be fair, I read the ending today, and the rest of the book yesterday, so maybe if I had read it all at once I would feel differently. Definitely a book I recommend to any of you, and there are more in the series that I looked for today at the local bookstore but they didn't have any copies in. 

A great OBOB choice, and recommended! You'll want to read all the books, I'm sure! 4 paws and a wag!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Baseball, by Alan Gratz

     It's spring, readers, and baseball is in the air - my favorite sport of all time! I'm still waiting for a professional team to ...