Saturday, April 4, 2020

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster, by Jonathan Auxier

From the author of The Night Gardener, one of the creepiest books ever!  Sweep is an oddly engaging but...different tale of a chimney sweep, Nan, in 1800s England and her golem (explained as the story goes along). This book is historical fiction, but you won't really know it when reading - really only the author's notes at the end of the book give away the historical facts that are included along the way. Included isn't the right word...perhaps embedded is better.

I loved the Night Gardener for it's very unique twist on the mystery genre. It is a truly scary book - kind of like a Stephen King book for teens. Sweep isn't good in the same way, although Auxier is a wonderful storyteller. I didn't love this book while reading it, but it was hard not to think about and come back to it whenever I wasn't reading it. I know, it's very hard to explain, but a good read, and worth it, if you are okay reading a story that you might have a hard time explaining to a friend. The premise is based on history, even the monster part, but try convincing someone that a book with a monster as a main character is historical fiction and you'll see exactly why I have a hard time describing this story. In the end, it is a good book, though, one I recommend, although it may not be for everyone.  Let me know if you read it and what you think - I'd love some other perspectives!
4 paws!

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster by Jonathan Auxier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...