Thursday, September 21, 2023

Miles Morales: Spider Man, by Jason Reynolds

     This is the chapter book version of the comic book hero, Miles Morales. Reynolds is an incredible writer and storyteller, and one of my favorites! There are a few authors that I watch for to write new books, and then I rush out to read them like they were a bag of treats! Anyway, I am not really knowledgeable about super heroes outside of knowing names of the some of the most popular ones. So I learned, after starting the Reynolds book, that Miles Morales is a sort of alternative telling of the Spider Man story, or maybe more a continuation of the first Spider Man character...but I liked it! Not yet familiar with the storyline (from the comic books), I didn't know anything about Miles or where this story was coming from or heading...but that's okay, right? It added to the adventure of the story!

    All that said, Reynolds created a chapter book (now there is a follow-up as well that I have not read yet) of the Miles Morales story. For someone as gifted as Reynolds at telling a story, I was a little shocked a few times at how clunky the story got. When I realized (with the help of a Miles Morales fan at school) that Reynolds was trying to extend the comic book version of the story, the occasional clunk made more sense. That said, I didn't find this book quite as strong as most of his other books (Ghost being one of my favorites!). Still better than a lot of chapter books out there because Reynolds really IS that good! But not his strongest work. I appreciate that he introduced me to a new, more current version of a super hero, so kudos to him for that! I may read the second one when I happen upon it...but the next entry in my blog will explain that better! 4 paws.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...