Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Pet, by Akwaeke Emezi

     This was not a book on my pug radar, but it arrived in a small box of free books from a Rainbow Book Company sent to my human because of his links to librarians and libraries. If this first book from this package is any indication of the other books sent, WOW!!!

    Pet is a fantasy story that tells of Jam, a young person living in Lucille, a futuristic town where "monsters" have been eliminated by adults. Jam's mom, Bitter, is an artist, and paints a creature into a painting that Jam accidently falls and bleeds on, and the painted creature comes alive. The creature's function is to hunt "monsters", and Pet, the painting, tells Jam that she is supposed to help in the hunt, because the hunted is someone Jam knows. The story is less confusing than I am probably making it sound, but it's also like nothing I've read before in many ways. There is a theme of child abuse in the story, so it's pretty heavy in that way. But Emezi's writing is spectacular! This may well be one of the best books I have ever read, and as a reading pug, I read a LOT!

    Jam appears to be transitioning between genders, but this is barely mentioned in the story, and is treated as if it isn't out of the ordinary. I love that part, as it really normalizes something that we, today, are still trying to come to terms with in our society. Emezi doesn't make it a major theme of the book, but it is there and adds to Jam's strengths, I think. The bulk of the story occurs around Pet, Jam, her friend and family, and the "monster".

    If strong subject matter doesn't worry you, read this. And then read it again. And then go out and read Bitter, book two in this story line. This is more than just one of my favorite books of the year, it's one of my all-time favorite books. Ever 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...