Monday, August 23, 2021

To: Night Owl From: Dogfish, by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer

 One of my favorite books is called Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. It reminded me a lot of Wonder but I thought it was a bit better, maybe because it became less commercialized. So when Night Owl showed up from Sloan as one of this season's OBOB books, I was tail-wagging happy!

Unfortunately, my wagging didn't last long. This story, on the surface, is a good one. Two girls meet because their dad's have started dating, and things appear to be serious, and the girls, who don't know each other when the story begins, are determined not to become friends, and hope that this relationship their dad's are building won't work out. However, the entire story is written as emails back and forth between Night Owl and Dogfish. I admit I have a bias against authors who cannot come up with a better way to tell a story than through letters, or emails, or texts. This seems way too easy, as an author, to let a story unfold. I know both of these veteran authors can, and have, done better. But...ugh. 3 paws just because I love Counting by 7s, I guess, but you could probably find better stories than this, either in other OBOB books this season, or by either of these authors. Oh well, looking forward to another OBOB read!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...