Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Storm Runner, by J.C. Cervantes


 One of a number of Rick Riordan Presents (RRP) books that I have been eager to read, and one of next year's OBOB books as well! This is author Cervantes's second book but the first of hers I've read. If you are familiar with Rick Riordan, author of The Lightning Thief series and many others, you might be excited about this publishing adventure he has going on. Using RRP, he is promoting new authors who write books similar to The Lightning Thief in that they are action/adventure stories with mythology at their core. In the case of The Storm Runner, the mythology is from the Mayan and Aztec culture, which is very cool!

Unfortunately, I don't feel like this one lived up to expectations. It was good, but fell short of great all the way through. It was as though Cervantes had a long list of gods and goddesses, and she was determined to include every single one in the story, whether or not it fit or made the story better or not. So what we get as readers is a lot of Mayan and Aztec god names, but several of whom are completely unneeded in moving the story forward. I'll be honest, by the midway point I was wanting to get to the end to see what happened. By the end I was trying to finish and thinking about what I would read next. Not a good sign, right?

If you like Riordan's work you might like this better than I did (although I also like his work, but didn't care much for this). I really liked another RRP book, Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky, so I won't give up on these books quite yet. But Storm Runner? Hmmm 3 paws for the story, and a wag because the other RRP books are hopefully better. Interested to know what you think of this one!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...