Saturday, May 22, 2021

Daughter of the Pirate King, by Tricia Levenseller

 A very fun pirate story that I happened upon by accident! This book was sent to Briggs by mistake, and was meant to go to another middle school in Texas. Briggs got it instead, and taking that as a sign, I read it! The first in a now 2-book set by Levenseller, this is the story of Alosa, the daughter of the pirate king, and thus someday-to-be queen of the pirates. She is smart, sassy, and part siren, which gives her powers over men that humans don't normally possess.  The book is full of action, and sass, and more than one example of Alosa using her female charm and appearance to get what she wants. A few times that means the book borders on being too mature for middle school, so I don't know if I'd recommend this to many 6th grade readers, and maybe not many 7th grade readers, but most 8th graders and high school readers would probably be okay with the sexual suggestions throughout - suggestions, but no explicit details.

Daughter of the Pirate King starts off strong and very good, stays steady throughout, and then peaks again with some twists at the end. I had a lot of fun reading this, and it reminded me of older pirate books I remember, such as Vampirates, and maybe even a little of Charlotte Doyle. If you like Pirates of the Caribbean, give this a try! Alosa may well be the next Jack Sparrow! 4 paws, but not a book for all grade level of readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...