Saturday, April 25, 2020

Because of the Rabbit, by Cynthia Lord

The latest release from the author of one of my favorite books, Rules.  Because of the Rabbit is a simply written story about everyday challenges that everyday young people (and old people!) face, such as doing the right thing - when it comes to people you don't know, people you do know, getting what you want, knowing what you want - and rabbits, of course!  I like that Emma, the protagonist (main character), comes from a family that is not the center of the story, except for the caring they provide her along the way. So many teen and YA stories have the element of a deceased parent (or two), family violence or abuse, and other very real things, but things that don't have to be part of the story for that story to be good or realistic. Perhaps in Rabbit the family dynamic is too "perfect"....perhaps. But it's nice that Emma's family plays well together - kind of like my brother Henry and I do (most of the time).

This book is probably written for 5th/6th graders, but I finished those grades a few years ago, and this one still had me tearing up at the end. It won't take long to read, the story is simple, but Lord is really good at what she does, and this book is no exception! Enjoy! 4 paws!

Because of the Rabbit: Lord, Cynthia: 9780545914246: Amazon.com: Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...