Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Wonderling, by Mira Bartok

I can't recall how The Wonderling made it on to my purchase list, but it did, and I'm assuming someone gave it a rave review along the way, which always catches my attention. This book, about a one-eared groundling (part animal, part human) making his way in a very cruel, unforgiving world soon to be devoid of music, is a good one. It blends a little Oliver Twist, a little Edward Tulane, a bit steampunk,  and even a little Lemony Snicket. It is a unique story, in some ways, and well written and illustrated, but it isn't amazing. The protagonist, Number 13, soon to be named Arthur, is a likable character, along with the other minor main characters and protagonists. The story flows pretty well, and kept me reading, although a few times I found my mind wandering just a bit. I don't know...I like this book, but I didn't love it. If you like any of the characters or authors I listed above, you might find a place in your heart for this story. It's worth a read, but it made me want to revisit Edward Tulane again (which isn't bad, as that book is wonderful, but still...). 3 paws.

Image result for wonderling bartok

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...