Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun, by Guillermo del Toro and Cornelia Funke

Oh my...one review describes this book as a "page-turner", and it definitely is that! I couldn't hardly wait to read the next page, no matter what page I had just finished! In addition, I had to go back and check some of my usual review sources to see the age group this book was being recommended for...I still cannot believe it is being recommended for 6th graders and above - the details of the war, of different characters being tortured or killed, I found to be really dark and really descriptive - not that fans of fantasy and horror wouldn't like it, just that I'm not sure I would say 6th graders would be part of the target audience here...you be the judge of that!

All that said, this book is awesome! A mix of World War 2 Spain, underworld beings and creatures, fairies, the beauty and ugliness of humanity, struggle, wealth and poverty, gender inequalities, oh, and murder and torture. This book covers a lot of ground, and does it in a way that makes it difficult not to read the next page! I am not familiar with the movie version of Pan's Labyrinth, but perhaps some of you are. I am familiar with Funke, who has written some of the best fantasy in YA and teen lit, in my opinion - Inkheart being my favorite, but also Dragon Rider and others. It's been a while since I've read anything by her, but wow, she has gotten SO good with this book!

Knowing the story as I do now, I don't know if I could read it again, knowing what happens along the way. But I cannot remember a book that I wished I had not read so that I could read it again for the first time! If death and darkness do not disturb you, read this, and then let's chat about it! 5 paws for sure!

Image result for pan's labyrinth book funke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...