Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Heart of Everything That Is, adapted by Kate Waters

A very important book in our nation's history. This is the young adult (YA) version of the adult book with the same title, but different authors listed. This non-fiction book tells the story of Red Cloud, an Oglala Lakota Indian leader in the 1800 - 1900s, and the only Native American chief to defeat the American Army in war. The adult version of this book won a few awards, but this version has received mix reactions from reviewers. I enjoy non-fiction and I'm glad I now know much more about this monumental figure in American history, much taken from his recently discovered auto-biography. But this book is very hard to follow, even with my decent level of US history as background. I would recommend this to you if you want to study a Native American figure who is perhaps less well-known and written about than, say, Sacagawea or Chief Joseph, but I would also warn that this book, while telling an important story, is not an easy one to follow and thus lends itself to being a bit difficult to stay with. Perhaps you will try it and find a different result? If so, please let me know here...I'd love to discuss this story with you! 3 paws.

Image result for the heart of everything that is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...