All things reading by a seasoned school librarian, a very smart four-legged fur baby, and hundreds of awesome students!
Thursday, July 4, 2019
The Heart of Everything That Is, adapted by Kate Waters
A very important book in our nation's history. This is the young adult (YA) version of the adult book with the same title, but different authors listed. This non-fiction book tells the story of Red Cloud, an Oglala Lakota Indian leader in the 1800 - 1900s, and the only Native American chief to defeat the American Army in war. The adult version of this book won a few awards, but this version has received mix reactions from reviewers. I enjoy non-fiction and I'm glad I now know much more about this monumental figure in American history, much taken from his recently discovered auto-biography. But this book is very hard to follow, even with my decent level of US history as background. I would recommend this to you if you want to study a Native American figure who is perhaps less well-known and written about than, say, Sacagawea or Chief Joseph, but I would also warn that this book, while telling an important story, is not an easy one to follow and thus lends itself to being a bit difficult to stay with. Perhaps you will try it and find a different result? If so, please let me know here...I'd love to discuss this story with you! 3 paws.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Felix Powell, Boy Squirrel, by Erin Entrada Kelly
Author Erin Entrada Kelly is one of my favorite writers for upper elementary and middle school fiction, and her books always rely on ...
-
The full title of this book is The Perfect Horse: The Daring Rescue of Horses Kidnapped During World War II . It tells the story of how, d...
-
From the author of Everything Sad is Untrue , this second book by Daniel Nayeri is a blend of folktale, picture book, and fable - with...
-
From one of the very few authors that has won the coveted Newbery Award twice (when even winning once is remarkable), comes this rea...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello! Please keep your comments clean and dog-friendly! Thanks for reading!
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.