Monday, July 29, 2019

Superman, by Matt de la Pena

Book four in the DC Comics chapter book series, Superman being released this past March, I believe, and the first one written by a male author. I have read all four books, in the order they were released (although they are all stand-alone's, so read them in whatever order you wish!), and I'm not sure if it's because Wonder Woman was the first one or if it really IS the best one, but that set a high bar for the others, and none have been able to reach it yet. Like the others, Superman is the story of how Superman came to be. Not being a big super hero fan, I still found a lot of what was written in this book repetitive and very basic. De la Pena did use modern day racism issues as a way to create a main story plot for Clark Kent's coming of age, and a few of the minor characters wanted to be fully developed, but weren't. Unfortunately, I don't think this book hit the mark.

If this is the first book in this series that you read, please don't give up! Give Wonder Woman: Warbringer a chance and see if it doesn't knock your socks off!  As for Superman - not bad, but not great. I did finish it, so there's that...3 paws.

Image result for superman matt de la pena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...