Monday, February 25, 2019

Tight, by Torrey Maldonado

Happy snow day, Tigers! Personally, I don't care for the white stuff, nor the clear wet stuff (rain!), as I'm not one to have my paws wet...but I hear kids playing outside and know what a day like this means to many of you, and I hope you have a great, safe, snowy day out there!

Luckily I had a couple of extra unread books this weekend, since my person cannot bring any books home from school when there is no school...Tight is a new title to your library that I've wanted to read after hearing some really good things about it. That said, I admit I was a bit skeptical for the first 30 pages or so...I had a hard time getting into the main character's brain, I think because author Maldonado uses very realistic language for his characters, and not being an urban dog, per se, I didn't really relate for a while. Kind of like when your teachers or parents try to be all cool by using language you use with your friends...doesn't work very well, or at least not very often! Funny, sometimes, but not enjoyable in the long term! Anyway, once I got used to the books language and settled into the story, I really liked it!

A well-told, short book about a young man, Bryan, growing up in a less-than-perfect household, in a less-than-perfect neighborhood, with some less-than-perfect people around him at school. You get the picture. He meets another young man, Mike, who seems really cool and smart, but seems to have another side to him, one that draws Bryan in, and soon he is doing things he wouldn't do on his own. The consequences get him into a few very "tight" situations that he has to navigate.

Maldonado's second book - I'm not sure if this one is so good I would go find his first, but probably...this is worth your time, especially if you like realistic, street-lit fiction. Not quite Jason Reynolds, but he may get there soon! 4 paws!

Image result for tight maldonado

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...