Saturday, October 10, 2026

I Am A Good Dog, by Katherine Applegate & Gennifer Choldenko

     What do you get when you pair Newberry Award winning author Katherine Applegate (Odder, The One and Only Ivan) with Newbery Honor winner Gennifer Choldenko (Al Capone Does My Shirts)? But wait! Add in one handsome robot dog as the protagonist (main character) and many other wonderful (non-robotic) animals (and a few people, too!) and what you have is a beautiful, heartwarming book told through the eyes of Metal Head, the robot dog that will keep you turning pages even after it's time to go to bed!

    Metal Head lives at the rescue shelter with many other dogs hoping to someday be adopted. But the cast of dogs in this story are on the lower floor, which is where dogs go when it seems they may not ever find their forever homes. When young human Esme begins visiting regularly, Metal Head does everything he can to get her to adopt him and take him home. But Esme has her sights on another dog - Ghost - who has one yellow eye and one blue eye. With the help of Mouse (who really is a mouse, not a dog) and a cast of two-legged and four-legged characters, Metal Head cannot seem to catch Esme's attention, until...

    If you've read anything by either of these authors, you may have already decided to give I Am A Good Dog a try! They are two my favorite storytellers, and this book does not disappoint. I found out that this is one of three books in the Dogtown books - maybe the third one? I will definitely look for the other two, especially if they are anything like this one! The writing is suitable for any age reader, although it is recommended for grades 3 to 7. A strong 2nd grade reader could manage this, and even younger readers with the help of an adult. I wagged my tail all the way through this story, and I think you will, too! 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please keep your comments clean and dog-friendly! Thanks for reading!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

I Am A Good Dog, by Katherine Applegate & Gennifer Choldenko

      What do you get when you pair Newberry Award winning author Katherine Applegate ( Odder , The One and Only Ivan ) with Newbery Honor...