Saturday, August 1, 2026

Silence Sounds Simple, by Gary Golio & Andrea D'Aquino

     The full title of this picture book is Silence Sounds Simple: A Day in the Life of John Cage. Before reading this wonderful book I didn't know who John Cage was, and if you are in that same category, before you read this book for yourself, check out this video of John creating a symphony of "music" using many different objects (google "John Cage: Water Walk").

    In essence, John Cage was fascinated by noise - and also by silence. On the opening page of the book, he is quoted saying, "There is no such thing as an empty space or an empty time. There is always something to see, something to hear." Cage spent his life being curious - about sound (including what most of us would call music) and silence...as well as mushrooms! He was a very curious, quirky character, indeed!

    I'm not sure if someone like John Cage will appeal to all of you, readers, but this book is full of color, and shapes, and words that try to describe John and his life. Author Gary Golio writes in a way that I think John Cage tried to make people think - in unique ways. Andrea D'Aquino's added artwork really brings the book to life in boldly and colorfully. As a book I found this to be very artistic, just like I think John Cage was an artist - creating and imagining and thinking about everyday things in different ways. If you have ever thought of something in a new or different way, I think you'd appreciate learning about John and reading this book very much! 4 paws!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please keep your comments clean and dog-friendly! Thanks for reading!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Bear and Bird, by Jarvis

      Another new author-illustrator for me, Jarvis is the creator of characters Bear and Bird - perhaps you know them already, but I did n...