Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Mexikid: A Graphic Memoir, by Pedro Martin

     This graphic novel won a silver medal last year, a Newbery Honor Award, which automatically makes me want to read it! On top of that, I don't read nearly enough graphic novels or manga, so when I get the opportunity to read an award-winning graphic novel, I get excited about it!

    A memoir is a biography, or someone's life story, but not their entire life - only a section of it (that is what makes a memoir different than a biography). Author and illustrator Martin tells his story of growing up in a large, extended family, living as an American-born Mexican, as opposed to half of his siblings, who are Mexican-born living in the United States. His family of 11(!) take a road trip from their home in California all the way to southern Mexico to bring their abuelito, or grandfather, back to live with the larger group. With so many travelers, they have to drive two different vehicles, and navigate two countries with some different ways of doing things, especially when it comes to travel!

    The cover of Mexikid claims it is "laugh-out-loud funny", which always makes me a little skeptical. But, happily, I laughed out loud many times while reading it, and I think you will, too! I think this book is destined to be read by many of you over the next many years...making it a classic?!? Along with the Newbery Honor it also won the Pure Belpre Award. Those two awards, and my strong recommendation, means you have to give this book a try! You, too, may find yourself laughing out loud! 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Alebrijes, by Donna Barba Higuera

     The latest story by the Newbery Award -winning author Higuera is complicated at the start, just like The Last Cuentista was, the book ...