Thursday, January 11, 2024

The Moth Keeper, by K. O'Neill

     My second graphic novel of this season so far...I hope I'm making you graphic novel fans happy and keeping you interested! The Moth Keeper is written and illustrated by K. O'Neill, who resides in New Zealand. According to the short author bio at the back of the book, they are a lover of nature, tea, and growing things. That is clearly evident in this fantasy story which follows Anya, a young being who volunteers to become a Moon-Moth keeper, a solo and lonely job but an important one in her village; the moths are rare and are the only pollinators of a beautiful Night-Tree. Moth Keeper definitely finds itself right in the middle of the fantasy genre, with its mythical creatures, beings of all species living and working together, and other-worldly spirits. All of which adds to the story, but also becomes a bit confusing at times. O'Neill leaves many pages and panels wordless, using her art to move the story forward, but also making the story at times hard to follow.

    Themes of duty to yourself and your community, friendship, strength, and found family are strong in this magical story. The artwork and paper choice of O'Neill and their publisher reminds me of an older picture book, perhaps, with its slightly muted color palette and the feel of the pages. These elements add to the mystical nature of the story overall, the variety of creatures, some of whom appear to be mixes of humans and other types of animals, such as owls and horses or camels. I admit there were a few times that I found myself lost in the storyline, trying to use the artwork to understand what I thought words would have helped convey. But the overall effect of the story and artwork are pretty solid, although I don't know if this will appeal to middle readers as much as more popular and accessible graphic novels, such as Smile or New Kid, for example. O'Neill has received many awards for their work but I confess this is the first of their book I have come across. I would definitely look at more of their work, but I don't know if I'd be so driven as to search for it. 3 paws and a wag!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...