Friday, December 1, 2023

Fire Keeper's Daughter, by Angeline Boulley

     November was Native American Heritage Month, and so I thought I'd take the opportunity to read something related to Native American culture. Another teacher at my human's school recommended Fire Keeper's Daughter, and wow!!! I'm SO glad they did...this book reminded me of Hunger Games in that it has a lot of different themes, including romantic interests as well as high action. I wouldn't recommend this book to many teens under 8th grade, and even many 8th graders might not have the patience or take the time to unpeel this nearly-500 page gem. But for those who do, you are in for a very wild ride, and a really good story!

    Main character Daunis is half-Native, living in northern Michigan on a reservation, and trying to get through life as any 17-year-old is, dealing with a lot of the same issues you might have. But Daunis's life is made more complicated by the fact that she is part-Native American, and there are realities that go along with that that I never had to face, and possibly you never did, either. One of the beauties of books is that they can act as windows into other people's lives and help us build empathy, or an understanding, of what it's like to live a different life, face different challenges, or experience things you and I have not, or maybe will never, experience.

    This is author Boulley's first book, and it is fantastic. It has already won numerous awards, as evidenced on its front cover, and after finishing it I can see why. By midway through the story I literally could not wait to read the next page! Treat yourself to this book...one of the best books I've read this year! 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...