Thursday, September 21, 2023

Freewater, by Amina Luqman-Dawson

     I apologize for having such a long lapse between my last post and this one...the school year ended, summer started, and all of the sudden it's mid-July! I know I live in dog years, but sheesh! This summer has gone by fast so far!

    A good way to stay cool during these really hot summer days is to curl up with a good book! Freewater is the first book by author Luqman-Dawson, and the winner of the most recent Newbery Award. Not a bad way to start a writing career, right? This is a fictionalized story of the escaped slaves who established "colonies" in the swamps of the American south during our nation's ugly slave history. In particular, two young people escape from their plantation and end up in one such community. As someone who has done a lot of reading of Black history in the U.S., I was shocked that I had never heard about these communities before, but thankful that this book was written, and that young adult and teen lit is growing so rapidly...I learn a lot from books (and you can, too!)!

    That said, there were a few mildly confusing parts in the story, but not too many to take away from the overall story line. I liked the book, and love what it taught me about our history. For that, I give it 4 paws!

    If you like Black history, American history, or just history in general, this is an above-average read! Try it, and be sure to comment and let me know what you thought of the story!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...