Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Glitter Gets Everywhere, by Yvette Clark

     The first teen book by author Yvette Clark, a London-born author who now resides in New York City. This is relevant because in Glitter Gets Everywhere, main character Kitty moves to New York with her dad and sister for 6 months for a change of scenery. The change is needed after the recent death of her mom, which Kitty is trying to work through from the very first pages of this story to the very last.

    This book starts off well but gets much better and stronger as it goes along. Perhaps it was just my own mood when reading on different days, but at first it seemed like Clark was trying too hard to write from the perspective of a young teenager, Kitty. But by about one third of the way into the story, the author really seemed to hit her stride, and the rest of the book was really difficult to put down! All of the characters and situations were pretty realistic and believable, and I found my pug self rooting for Kitty to have a good outcome. I won't share with you how close the actual ending was to what I hoped for, but I will say that this is a really good realistic fiction story about loss, family and friendship - and not just friendships between teens. Kitty also has a few adult friendships that help her deal with the loss of her mom. Clark builds a very good story here, worth your time. Fans of Patricia Riley Giff or Sharon Creech will really enjoy this, I think! 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...