Tuesday, January 18, 2022

King of the Screwups, by K.L. Going

     Many years ago I read a book called Fat Kid Rules the World, and I LOVED it! Written by K.L. Going, it had elements that spoke to me personally (music, bullying, acceptance)...it was like nothing I had ever read, and it is one of my all-time favorite teen/YA books, even to this day! So imagine my joy when I came across a copy of Fat Kid at a local bookstore, alongside another Going book I had never read before, King of the Screwups. Written in 2009, it isn't new, to be sure, but classic Going. Both of these books remind me a little of Catcher in the Rye, only more modern...teen characters, real world situations...but with twists that are not predictable, in believable language, and no one I have read gets into a person's head with more realism and connection than this author does.

    That said, Screwups is the story of Liam, a teenager who is forever trying to please his abusive father. He has a special connection to his mother, but she, too, is emotionally abused by her husband. Liam gets kicked out of his house and ends up living with his uncle, a glam rocking, cross-dressing dj. He spends every waking moment trying to not be popular in his new school and town, which goes wrong at every turn. A storyline that might wither under some other author's writing, but Going makes it a page turner, with great insights, realism, and connection to all of the main characters.

    If Fat Kid was not one of my all-time favorites, this would get a 5 paw rating. It's really good, but not Fat Kid good, so it gets 4 paws and a wag! A highly recommended book and author for anyone wanting to read realistic fiction written by a wonderful writer. Probably a bit strong for 6th graders, but mature 7th graders and up should love this!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Baseball, by Alan Gratz

     It's spring, readers, and baseball is in the air - my favorite sport of all time! I'm still waiting for a professional team to ...