Thursday, July 22, 2021

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise, by Dan Gemeinhart

 What a great book title, right? It sounds like an old western movie or something....love it! Another OBOB book for the upcoming season, and not the first for author Gemeinhart. A few years ago his book The Honest Truth was also part of OBOB. In that season, Truth was possibly my least favorite book of the year, but kids loved it! In fact, even since then a few teachers have used that book in small book groups, and kids still love it! I, however, did not love it...I didn't even really like it. So when I saw that another book by the same author was part of OBOB, I was tentatively hopeful that this book would be better.

I was not disappointed. Early on this book reminded me a lot of Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moons, one of my favorite books of all time! Moons is one of the few books I have read more than once, and every single time I get tears in my puggie eyes! I'm pretty stoic, so making me cry is tough to do, but every single read?!? Once my brain had made that connection between that book and this one, though, I was a bit skeptical that Gemeinhart would be able to reach that sort of high standard. 

He almost reached it...almost, but close enough for me to highly recommend this book to you. I didn't get teared up during this one, although he really, really tried! And Walk Two Moons is one of the best books ever, in my opinion, so although Coyote Sunrise didn't hit that level, it is one of the better books I've read this year! A wonderful story about a young girl Coyote, and her dad, Rodeo, a bus, a cat, and a few unexpected friends. Oh, and loss. Grief. But also a police chase, a goat, a runaway teen...tough to explain the entire plot, but let me just say that this is really good, and chances are pretty good you will shed a few tears along the way. Coyote is very hard not to be friends with...I think you'll count her as your friend by the time you finish the story. 5 paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...