Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Next Great Paulie Fink, by Ali Benjamin

 Another OBOB book this season, and one I was excited to read ever since seeing Benjamin's other book, The Thing About Jellyfish, on the bookstore shelves. That book looks really good, and I still can't wait to read it! Paulie Fink is decent realistic fiction with some of the usual themes that other YA realistic fiction books have: moving to a new town and school, fitting in, making friends, etc. This one has a few new twists to it, such as Paulie Fink, someone we as readers don't meet until well into the story. And the bullying that Caitlyn, the main character and narrator, did at her previous school. Something she grapples with and unwinds throughout this book.


Paulie Fink isn't a bad book, but it just never got going for me. The themes are mostly the usual, and none of them were dissected like they might have been to make this book really stand out. It's a good read, and a decent OBOB choice, and some of you may really like it. But for me, it was good but not great, decent but not stellar, and not bad but not my favorite OBOB book of this season. I still want to read Jellyfish, though, so apparently it wasn't so bad that I never want to read anything else my this author. If that's a positive, go with it. 3 paws and a wag (for being part of OBOB).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...