Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Skyhunter, by Marie Lu

 Here are 5 things you should know about pugs, and me in particular: 

1. I am a loud sleeper - I snore a lot, even when I'm awake...it's a pug thing, and I'm proud of it. 

2. I'm not much for exercise, but as a protector of my humans, I'm top of the breed pile! 

3. I'm smarter than my brother in most ways, but not all - he is pretty cute, but I read and write, so...that's hard to beat. It's like being the sibling of Einstein, right? I mean, not an even playing field. For him, I mean.

4. Will work for food. Almost any food. Almost any work. Almost any time. 

5. Marie Lu is my favorite author of 2020!

Skyhunter is Lu's latest, and as much a page-turner as Legend or Warcross! I also read her historical fiction/fantasy story, Kingdom of Back, earlier this year, which is my all-time fave Lu book so far. So Skyhunter is good, but not Kingdom good...if Skyhunter was written by anyone else it would easily be 5 paws! But because Lu is so exceptional at storytelling, she starts at 4 paws, and only gets 5 when she exceeds even her own standards. 

Skyhunter, a futuristic, dystopian science fiction meets fantasy novel, is really good - a page turner! Not amazing like Kingdom was, but as good as her other really good books. She writes on the same amazing level as Leigh Bardugo, who I need to read more of, and better than Veronica Roth (who's also good, but not this good). Lu is as good as Suzanne Collins. As good as Holly Black. She knows what she's doing with a story!

Skyhunter is clearly the first book in a series, without question, based on its ending. If you haven't read her books before, this is a good one to start with. Or any, for that matter. She is an elite YA/teen author. Only because Kingdom of Back was SO good am I giving this 4 paws instead of 5. But if anyone else had written this, easy 5 paw rating. Read this!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...