Friday, January 3, 2020

Ms.Bixby's Last Day, by John David Anderson

Another of this year's OBOB books, and one that comes with a lot of praise both from accomplished authors and reputable book sources, such as Booklist and School Library Journal. This one flies below the OBOB radar compared to more flashy books in this season's series of middle level books, but with all the positive reviews I was hopeful that this is a hidden gem that somehow I had missed along the way.

Anderson is the author of several other books, Posted being one that I have seen kids pick up often, although I have never heard any feedback about it to know whether it is liked or not. Sometimes the cover is interesting enough to grab your attention, and hopefully the story is worthy of all the attention it gets. Not having made the connection to Ms. Bixby, I was even more curious to read this one and maybe jump right to Posted.

This book starts a bit slowly, and does get more engaging about half way through. But this is not an action adventure book, so aside from one exciting scene in an alley with a man who steals money from the three main characters, this is mostly a tale told from  each of the main character's point of view. The three boys are 6th graders making a daring journey on a school day (which means they skip school) to visit their teacher who is sick and in the hospital. As the story unfolds, slowly, you learn how each of the boys has connected with Ms. Bixby, the teacher, and how she has connected with them. Some of the writing is predictable, as well as a bit oversimplified, but it does have heart.

As a complete book, Anderson does a decent job, but not an amazing one.  In fact, one of the reviews of the book on the back cover is written by author Gordon Korman, and this book is much like a Korman story, only not quite as solid. It's close, and if you like decent realistic fiction this may speak to you. It was good enough to finish, but I'm not sure I'd go looking purposefully for his other books like I would for, say, Korman. On the other hand, this book is getting so many rave reviews, perhaps I need to step back and ask you to read it, and tell me what you think?  For now, I'll give it 3 paws.

Image result for ms bixbys last day anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...