Friday, October 11, 2019

York, Book 1: The Shadow Cipher, by Paura Ruby

Today's lesson (for me, as much as for you) is that life is too short to read a bad book! The Shadow Cipher isn't a bad book, but as a dog, my life is even shorter than yours, and this book, while being okay, just never got going. It made me want to do two things; One, re-read Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet, a really good, smart mystery with an art element! And two, read any of a number of books from my growing book list, including some of the other OBOB books! I can count on one paw the number of books I have started and not finished in my life, and now I have not finished two in a row...it feels weird, but I just can't keep going with this one.

Not a bad story, taking place in a futuristic New York City. A brother and sister and friend trying to solve a family mystery that people have been trying to solve for many decades. But they manage to find a new strand of clues and are racing against time to solve the puzzle before their building is taken over by greedy businessmen, who seem to have an alternate motive...although we don't really know what that is.

I can't quite put my tail on it, but this story just never flows...some good books I simply can't put down, but this one, 300 pages in, never makes me care - about the storyline or the characters. Maybe the cold weather is starting to make me cranky...hopefully you will like this book much more than I did! Let me know if you do...I'd love to love it more!

Image result for yrk the shadow cipher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...