Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Poet X, by Elizabeth Acevedo

Sometimes you read a book and just want it to keep going, and going...and going.  This is one of those books! I first thought from the title that this book would somehow have something to do with Malcolm X, one of my favorite people in history, and I waited to read it until I was ready to dig into Black American history. It is not about Malcolm X, but X is short for Xiomara, the protagonist and narrator of this story. The Poet X is the name she uses when she starts to participate in poetry slams.

The book is written in poetry style, like The Crossover, another of my fave books. But unlike The Crossover, this story is about a young Latina from the Dominican Republic, living in the United States, a sophomore in high school, navigating family, God, boys, men, romantic relationships (the details get a little strong here...meant for older middle and high school readers, probably), a twin brother and best friend, expectations from all of these places...and more. It is REALLY well written - some of the best writing I have read for YAs and teens in a long time. I know Acevedo has a new book out, although The Poet X is only one year old, and I will definitely get to it! I cannot think of another Latina or Latino author that is currently writing about the LatinX experience in America today, let alone anyone doing it with such beautiful writing and insight as Acevedo. A National Book Award finalist, a Printz Award winner, and a Pure Belpre Award winner!  I love this book - I think you will, too! 5 paws!

Image result for the poet x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...