All things reading by a seasoned school librarian, a very smart four-legged fur baby, and hundreds of awesome students!
Friday, December 21, 2018
Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer, by Rick Riordan
I have to be honest here and admit that I don't read much of Riordan's books...not because they're not good, they are! But because most of you already know how good they are - they fly off the shelves, always and seemingly forever! So there isn't much I could tell you that many of you don't already know. However, in the case of The Sword of Summer I took the plunge because this is one of this year's OBOB books, and I try to read all of them every year...with success most of the time! So as I make my way through this season's OBOB books, it was time for this one...and it is a good one! SoS takes on Norse mythology, much like the Lightning Thief tackled Greek mythology, so I had to learn some new words (always a good thing!) and plenty of mythology I didn't know (also a good thing!) and of course Riordan weaves a great story every single time! The only reason I give this book 4 paws and not 5 is because there were many times while reading I was wishing for it to end so I could move on to whatever my next book would be. Not because it was boring - it wasn't! - or poorly written - it wasn't! - but it just seemed to go on about 100 pages too long. I don't mind long books, if their length is needed...I never felt that way reading Marie Lu or Richard Paul Evans...again, not bad, just a bit long. If you like action/adventure/fantasy, Riordan is a must-read author! But know that his books can be long, and that isn't always a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Felix Powell, Boy Squirrel, by Erin Entrada Kelly
Author Erin Entrada Kelly is one of my favorite writers for upper elementary and middle school fiction, and her books always rely on ...
-
The full title of this book is The Perfect Horse: The Daring Rescue of Horses Kidnapped During World War II . It tells the story of how, d...
-
From the author of Everything Sad is Untrue , this second book by Daniel Nayeri is a blend of folktale, picture book, and fable - with...
-
From one of the very few authors that has won the coveted Newbery Award twice (when even winning once is remarkable), comes this rea...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello! Please keep your comments clean and dog-friendly! Thanks for reading!
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.