Thursday, May 2, 2024

Fantasy Baseball, by Alan Gratz

     It's spring, readers, and baseball is in the air - my favorite sport of all time! I'm still waiting for a professional team to be named for a dog or breed (why do birds have all the fun?), but even without a good dog-named team, I love the game! So even though Fantasy Baseball is one of author Gratz's earliest books, and I really enjoy his more recent work (such as Refugee and Prisoner B-3087), and I was ready for a good baseball-themed story, this one...well, it's a stinker (not a sinker, which is a difficult pitch to hit!).

    The plot of this story is young Alex Metcalf seems to wake up on a bus to a baseball game surrounded by characters from all kinds of children's stories; Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, the Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood, and more. These characters, now with Alex among them, is traveling and playing baseball games, trying to make it into the playoffs.

    Rarely, and I mean almost never, do I start a book and not finish it. But friends, I did read the first 50 pages - a very fair start to any chapter book, in my opinion - but I had to stop and read something else. If anything from the plot explained above appeals to you, give this a try! It's not terrible - Gratz is too good a writer for that. But this is not his best work...not even close. Read anything he has written in the last ten years, and you will not be able to put the book down! But unless something here really sparks your interest, skip this one. It's a foul ball. 2 paws.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Roads, by Joseph Bruchac

     It's been a minute since I've read a Joseph Bruchac book - actually, several minutes - but I am glad to have come back! He is ...